Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Peg's Challange


I guess it is my turn to answer Peg’s challenge.
It is hard to start this off and not pick how thankful we all are for this family. One time when Uncle Jack was visiting he and I were riding and I said I was glad we were lucky enough to have left New Jersey. Most of the kids we played with never graduated from high school. He told me that he believed you make your own luck. I agree with that but you need to have the moral and ethical base to make the choices in life.

When we were young I know dad was on the road a lot but, I never remember him missing anything that mattered. I did not think he was gone that much. Now that I spend time on the road I know that it seems like more time to me than the people at home. I also remember him taking jobs on the weekends with “Joe D” to bring in a little extra when needed. I thank him for the work ethic that all six of his children have.

Some of my friends use to tease me about being from the Cleaver family. That is a compliment to me and mom was the base of that. I never remember a dinner that the entire family was not at the table. We never ate in front of the TV. I can still hear, as plain as day, from the back step in Rancocas Heights “Jimmy, Peggie, Billy, Dennis time for dinner”. We could hear that from any place we were, and came running. Our house was always clean and in order. Six kids is a full time job. I remember mom having coffee ready for grand pop when he came home from working the night shift.

All six of us have made good choices as far as jobs and who we have chosen to spend our lives with. The bases of those choices are directly related to our upbringing. The economic times may affect some of us negatively, but we have the upbringing to know what we have to do to make it.

I am also thankful for people like Bryan, Tommy and Chris. People who chose to make our community and Country safe are a special breed. When the rest of us run from trouble they run to it and try to fix the problem. Thanks.

Last but not least Debbie, I have been to 28 states and 7 countries, most with her. This is the only person that would not only let me do all the things I want, but do them with me. Many times she not only does them with me but she does them better than me. She has put aside her fears on several occasions to join me on some adventure that I wanted to do. Deb is afraid of heights but has joined me on a zip line on an active volcano in Nicaragua, and a rain forest in Alaska. She can out work me and out play me. She makes me a better person. (Don’t tell her about this.)
I know there is so much I have not listed but I have to stop someplace.

6 comments:

Peggie said...

Thanks for the heartfelt blog. I felt like we all had so much to be thankful for, and anyone who couldn't think of anything could certainly use a "push" from the rest of us. I believe we only have one chance at this life, so we should spend each day living it to the fullest. See you soon for more good family times at Christmas.

Love ya!!

P.S. I won't tell Deb what you said if you don't tell Steve what I said!! LOL ;)

Mike 2e said...

That's what I tried to say, but you said it better. Great blog.

Big Jim said...

That is an absolutely wonderful blog. Thanks for expressing it so eloquently. We all must thank each other for the place they play in our lives. I have learned so much about life just by living it with all of the family I have lived it with.
Love.

Sue said...

You do put it all so beautifully. The family you have gave you the best of all foundations and each of you used that foundation to build wonderful lives.

CShore said...

Great blog. I always love hearing stories from when you guys were kids, but I could tell those were special memories. Thank you for sharing.

JP2E said...

Well that just about shoots the hell out of what I wanted to say, nice job.
I will BLOG soon and share my ideas as well, but they are already out there with all of you that have answered already...