Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Home again, Home Again……….

Deb and I spent the week end on New Orleans. I had to go to the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) show for work. This is the place dealers go to see what is new and buy anything that they need in a dealership. This was a bad place to be if you were selling stuff (ME). Most years it is one of the biggest shows put on. This year GM had a booth with only 1 car from each division; Ford only had 4 cars in the booth. Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Nissan, VW and Audi did not even show. We were one of 3 car wash companies that came, out of the 20 that are usually there. 17,000 dealers are members of the NADA and only 2400 showed up. We got less than 50 leads in 4 days. That is for the entire country. Georgia got zero. I left the show a day early, no sense wasting another day.

Deb and had a good time in spite of the show. We drove down on Friday and got to the hotel about 3:30pm. We were about 1.5 miles from the French Quarter, so we walked over for dinner. We went to The Crescent City Brew House. This is my favorite restaurant in the city.

We found it with Peg and Steve and Mike and Michel when we were on our cruise. I have been a few more times when I’m on business. From there we walked over to Bourbon St. They are getting ready for Mardi Gras, and was fairly quiet. As we were walking I saw a court yard with the gate open and some great Dixieland music coming out. A 3 piece group (Base, Banjo and trumpet) were going to town. The trumpet player sang and sounded just like Leon Redbone. We stayed for about an hour, and then headed back to the hotel. When I was at the show on Saturday, Deb went to the Riverwalk and did some Christmas shopping. We met up after the show for dinner. My feet were killing me from being on them all day so we just walked to a place about 2 blocks away. The Sun Ray is a local place you have to look for but worth the hunt. On Sunday we got up early and ran over to Café Du Monde. This is one of Deb’s favorite places. Deb had some work to take care of while I was at the show so she just hung out till I was threw for the day. We found another great Cajun place, Mulats, for dinner. At 7:00 a band came out and made foe another outstanding evening.

I went to the show on Monday but by 11:00 I knew it would be dead so I made the decision to head home. I talked to some of the folks who stayed and things never did pick up, so I made a good call.
When My ankle did that I had to get it fixed.


That’s all for now, see you all later.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like a good time... Even if it wasn't a terribly productive work trip. :)

Peggie said...

I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't consider Cafe DuMonde as one of their favorite places to go in NOLA!!! I agree with your assessment of the Crescent City Brewhouse. We never made it there on our last trip, however.

I sure hope you paid the guy in that last photo!! We took a picture of one of those street performers and walked off and he chased us down to say that we couldn't take his picture without paying him for his image!!! He was really kinda scary!!!

I'm glad you guys had a good time. It's just a shame it wasn't more productive work-wise.....

Talk to you soon.

Love ya!!

JP2E said...

Americas greatest heros are the road warriors who help make the wheels of commerce turn. Sorry the trip was not as productive as it could be, but you would never have known if you hadn't tried.
See you this weekend...

Mike 2e said...

At least you missed the Essence Festival this time. Bet you had a better hotel as well.

Sue said...

Sorry the business part of the trip wasn't what it used to be. We are all praying for better times. I hope the food and entertainment brought some smiles to an otherwise bleak trip. I hope Debbie got some good bargains.

CShore said...

Glad to hear that you had a good time even if the 'work' part wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. It looks like you guys made the most of your time though. Do you guys ever sell to car dealerships (I know you mentioned it but I wasn't sure what you meant). The dealer I bought my truck from in Orlando had an automatic car wash that they made available to all their customers. Free car washes for life, and if your vehicle ever went in (service, oil change, etc) you better believe it got run through that thing.

Good luck and hopefully it will pick back up soon!