Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Peggies Challange


Childhood memories, let me see. Could it be the time Jim, Peg and I burned the white carpet in the 1 week old house? Or maybe the time we put Peggie in a box and pushed her out of the tree house. Bye, Bye tree house. Or even the time mom slammed the ketchup bottle so hard that ketchup flew up on the ceiling. Then there is the time I got my finger stuck in the handlebar of my bike, or when I got my finger stuck in the sprocket. (that one hurt)

I think I will tell about the 4th of July. Most years, in the New Jersey days, on the 4th of July we went along most of the neighbors and our Philly cousins to Robbins Beach. It was located just down the street in our neighborhood on the Rancocas Creek. We spent all day playing in the water, drinking Shop Rite cola and eating hot dogs. Who remembers the old hand well pump? We played egg toss, sack races and three legged races. Late in the afternoon dad and the uncles went back to the house setup fireworks between our driveway and grand mom’s. When the women and kids got home around sundown the show was ready to commence. I’m sure that roman candles and bottle rockets were all they had, but at that time it was better than anything Phips Plaza ever thought of. After the show a bonfire followed every year. I don’t remember who launched the flaming marshmallow and hit our uncle Bill in the belly but he must have deserved it.

Out childhood was much like Mayberry or leave it to beaver, but that was a much different time. I guess it is our job to see that the next generation has as good memories as we do.

P.S. It is amazing I still have all 10 fingers.

7 comments:

JP2E said...

O U T S T A N D I N G BLOG!!!!!!
Even better memories!
There is a lot to be said for growing up on a dirt road with a lot of siblings and way too many cousins. I wouldn't trade a minute of it for fort knox...

JP2E said...

PS: You made me remember the "VAROOM" motors on the bikes.
Now we have the real thing, but they are not as special as those pedal-powered hot rods from our childhood...

CShore said...

Great story, I still have to come up with mine!

Big Jim said...

Wonderful blog! I had forgotten some of those things. Do you remember that some of the fireworks were called helicopters? They were fun.
Love.

Mike 2e said...

I love those stories about the early days. I don't have any NJ memories so when I hear the stories and put it with the images from our old home movies I swear I can remember being there even though I know I could not have been. Thanks for the memories.

Bill T said...

I do remember the helicopters and some little tanks.

Peggie said...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Your blog is so much fun. As Jim said, it takes me back to dirt roads, covered with oil, and us making dirt "bridges" across so mom could go visit with Aunt Ag!!! Those were the days, my friend!!! As I've told the others, whenever you feel you need to reach out and touch us and you can't think of anything to write, stir up an old memory and put it out there for us. This has been LOTS of fun!!!

This weekend was great too. Thanks for the room on Friday and thanks for all the new memories on Saturday. Love ya!!