Thursday, October 9, 2008

THE WINDY CITY

Well I need to start out with a big “Job Well Done” to Katie and Bryan. Maddy is a doll, and I know the two of you will guide her on the long journey ahead of her with the same love and parenting you have received.

Deb is in Tennessee for some work and some visiting. She will be home on Tuesday so I am on my own till then.
I was in Chicago for a trade show this week. I went up on Sunday and returned late Tuesday. I love going to the big cities, especially this time of year. On Sunday night I went for a walk to look for some dinner.
I was staying at the Congress hotel, on Michigan Ave, one of the main streets in town. I headed north for 6 or 7 blocks then went west for a block and found Wabash St. Wabash has the Ell over it, reminded me of Kensington Ave, On Wabash I found “The Exchequer” it had a sign that said “voted best deep dish pizza in Chicago”. One of my plans for this trip was to try real Chicago style deep dish pizza so this was the place for me. It was a bar and restaurant, and the White Sox were playing in a playoff game. Watching the game in a bar with real Sox fans was cool. It turns out that this place was once known as “Diner 226” and was a dinner club owned by Al Capone, It was during prohibition and he had gambling up stairs and booze in the basement. There was a secret tunnel down stairs to get away when the cops came. I ordered a small pizza and it was great. I could only eat half of it but it was worth the walk.

I met Jack Allison (he works in our Birmingham office) in the lobby the next morning. Jack told me that McCormick Place was only 2 miles away, and asked if I wanted to walk. Jack is 71 and I was not going to let him show me up, so off we went. We headed 2 blocks over to Lake Michigan and went south.
Who ever told Jack 2 miles was way off. It was well over 4 miles and I think it was 5 miles. After that we had 6 hours standing on the show floor. My dogs were barking that night. The show was slow but we got a few leads so it is time to get to selling.

See you guys later. Bill

4 comments:

Big Jim said...

Sounds like an interesting trip. I visited Chicago while I was in the service and ha a great time. It really is an great place to visit.
Love.

Sue said...

Love the photos. I have never been to Chicago but it looks like you had a great visit seeing the sights.

JP2E said...

No reply to the mystery actor in the video?
Inquiring minds want to know...

CShore said...

Looks like it was a pretty cool trip. I'm not sure I'd want to visit a place like that myself, but it does seem pretty neat. Glad you had a successful trip.