Sunday, July 20, 2008

PGR kind of day



Today was a long day for me. I got a call late last night that there was a Patriot Guard mission today,(Sunday) in Snellville. Below is an article on the young man. My friend Dan and I met up and rode to the church about 12:00. It looked to be about 150 PGR people there. The family of this young man was incredible. In what had to be one of the lowest moments in life, they held it together and told how he was doing what he felt needed to be done. He was only three weeks from the end of his tour in Afghanistan. As we rode from the church to the grave sight the people of Snellville showed there fallen hero the spirit of America. The rout was lined with people holding flags, old men saluting, parents telling children what was happening. As you ride tears of pride run down your face. Everyone there are patriots, no Republicans, no Democrats, no left wing and no right wing, just patriots. One of the proudest moments in my life was being called a patriot by a veteran. I got home about 7:00 this evening between the riding and heat I am tuckered out.
Now for some bad news. Next Saturday there is another mission. Cpl. Matthew B. Phillips, of Cumming who died along side Jon Ayres will be buried next Saturday. I am planning on going unless something big comes up.
That’s all for now.


Fallen Georgia Soldier Killed in Afghanistan Laid to Rest
Last Edited: Sunday, 20 Jul 2008, 6:23 PM EDT
Created: Sunday, 20 Jul 2008, 6:23 PM EDT
A Georgia soldier who was killed while fighting in Afghanistan was laid to rest Sunday, July 20, 2008 at a Snellville church. Corporal Jon Ayers was killed when Taliban forces attacked a U.S. base in Wanat on July 13.
SNELLVILLE, Ga. (MyFOX Atlanta) – A Georgia soldier who was killed while fighting in Afghanistan was laid to rest Sunday at a Snellville church. Corporal Jon Ayers was killed when Taliban forces attacked a U.S. base in Wanat on July 13.

Video: Fallen Georgia
The service was held at Zoar United Methodist Church in Snellville and was restricted to family and friends. Burial with full military honors followed at Eternal Hills Memory Gardens on Stone Mountain Highway.On Saturday, a motorcade for Corporal Ayers stretched for miles through the streets of Snellville. Young and old, citizen and veteran all gathered to pay their respects to a fallen soldier who gave his life for his country.Cpl. Ayers was killed in Afghanistan when his unit was ambushed by Taliban fighters. In all, nine soldiers died defending their post. Georgia native Cpl. Matthew B. Phillips, 27, from Jasper was also killed in the attack.The other seven killed were 1st Lt. Jonathan P. Brostrom, 24, of Hawaii; Sgt. Israel Garcia, 24, of Long Beach, Calif.; Cpl. Jason M. Bogar, 25, of Seattle, Wash.; Cpl. Jason D. Hovater, 24, of Clinton, Tenn.; Cpl. Pruitt A. Rainey, 22, of Haw River, N.C.; Cpl. Gunnar W. Zwilling, 20, of Florissant, Mo. and Pfc. Sergio S. Abad, 21, of Morganfield, Ky.

5 comments:

Big Jim said...

I watched the story of this young man on TV and wondered if you might be there. These young men are true heroes in every sense of the word and I am proud that you give you time and effort to honor them.
Love.

Peggie said...

I am proud of both you and Steve for your participation in the PGR. Neither of you served in the service to our country, but you are both showing your patriotism now, through this great group. I agree with the Vet you met......you are a true patriot. Thanks for showing your American Spirit. Love ya!!

CShore said...

I know my dad always feels good after doing one of those rides, and I'm sure the families really appreciate the showing. Keep it up.

JP2E said...

I have not ridden with you on one of these yet, but will soon. Please call.
I know how I feel when I get the word that one of my "kids" is hurt or killed serving our country; It hurts down deep. I lost a young man (former scout) recently, and he told his Mom that he wanted to come home and see me when he got leave. He never made it.
I know you knew Eric, but did you know he did 3 years in the army as a forward machinist and mechanic?
I love and respect every one of these guys - right along with you and Steve...

Sue said...

It is really a wonderful thing you and all the Patriot Guard so. It brings such comfort to the families. Peggie said it beautifully "Thanks for Showing your American Spirit."

Do you ever see the Kimmer at any of the rides? I remember he said he was participant back in the days he was on the radio.